About Advising

Our approach

The Office of Undergraduate Student Services and Advising uses both professional and faculty advisors to maximize the guidance we offer SEAS students.  During the first year students are assigned a professional advisor who will help them transition to the university and navigate the curriculum.  At the end of their first year, each student is assigned a faculty advisor from their major department.  The faculty advisor becomes the primary advisor for navigating the student’s major curriculum and serves as a mentor regarding the student’s discipline. 

Your responsibility

As you progress through the degree programs within SEAS, academic advisors will assist in meeting your program requirements. However, fulfillment of degree requirements is ultimately your responsibility. You are expected to understand the degree requirements and engage in careful program planning with your faculty advisor.  We encourage you to use the tools provided by your department to track degree progress.

Academic advising is a two-way street. In order to make your advising experience the best it can be, take a moment to reflect on the responsibilities of both students and advisors by reviewing Student-Advisor Compact.

The advising relationship

We encourage all SEAS students to continue their relationship with their professional advisors, since the professional advisor will continue to monitor the student’s academic progress and success.  A student’s academic advisor also can help with other aspects of the student's academic career, such as admission to graduate or professional school and/or career planning. Academic advisors can direct students to tutorial programs or counseling resources, provide information on internship opportunities, and direct students to independent research/guided independent studies. For more information about advising expectations and roles, please review the SEAS Advising Syllabus.

Additionally, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, seeks to guarantee both a student’s right of access to records and the confidentiality of student information. Institutions may not disclose information contained in education records without the student’s written consent except under certain conditions. A student’s record may be released to parents only if one of the following conditions has been met: 1. Through the written consent of the student; or 2. By submission of evidence that the parents declare the student as a dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax form, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Section 152. For more information about Record Access you can visit the University Registrar Forms page.